Thursday 24 June 2010

Machu Picchu/Rafting

Machu Picchu is the most famous ruins in Peru, although there are ruins all over the country. I visited this place about 2 weeks ago now. It was definitely an unforgettable experience. Machu Picchu was “founded” in 1911 by a professor from Yale. But as my tour guide for day countered, Machu Picchu was never found because it was never lost. The villagers who lived around this area had now about Machu Picchu for years before the arrival of the western professor. They are more unanswered questions rather than answered ones about Machu Picchu and its form and function during its historical prime. Some people say that it was something like a university where people from all over the Incan empire came to learn about religion and other important affairs. Other anthropologists think that it was a summer home for the actual Inca (the name for the Incan king). Both ways it was a very exciting experience and I hope to be able to find my way back there before they close it to the public.
The same weekend I went rafting for the first time ever. SUPER FUN! I decided that I need to be outside and have scenery when I work out. I get really bored at the gym when I am just on the treadmill or elliptical counting down the minutes. I need to be visually stimulated when I am exercising lol. And when I say rafting was a workout…it was a workout lol. My whole body was sore the next day. I feel like there are many outdoor activities in Michigan that aren’t competitive sports. I could take up snowboarding or something but I hate snow so that sounds like a fail lol. Oh well I will figure it out once I get back to the states. It’s my last week in Cusco, I only have 6 weeks left in total in Peru. CRAZY!
Hasta Luego

No comments:

Post a Comment